Carlos Rodon was bombed for 7 runs in 3.2 innings to halt the Yankee 5-game winning streak, and give Detroit a 10-3 win on a Thursday night in the Bronx.
Rodon was coming off 3 pretty good outings in a row, but in this one he was back to the dreadful starter he looked like when he first came back from injury in July.
Gleyber Torres continued his hot hitting, with a homer and 2 for 3 performance to raise his averate to .275, which is 16th in the American League (a .300 average in days of old in terms of # of players hitting that high).
“Stuff was a little down; little all over the place; they barreled a lot of balls, and I just got my ass whupped; that’s pretty much it,” said Rodon afterwards. “We were on a little roll there with 5 straight wins; just trying to put the next one up, and showed up and kind of pissed the bed and was not good.
NY falls back to .500 at 70-70, and are 7 behind the Wild Card. Detroit improves to 64-76.
1. Rodon Bombed
“I’m not going to make any excuses for my performance tonite,” added Rodon. “I just wasn’t good and it’s time to be better.”
- The game just started when Rodon allowed a leadoff double to Matt Vierling, and 2-run homer to righty by Spencer Torkelson into the short porch in right. Detroit 2 NY 0 as people at Yankee Stadium were still making it to their seats.
Full count flex from Tork! 💪 pic.twitter.com/mzvin2zTTF
— Detroit Tigers (@tigers) September 7, 2023
- Rodon reared back and got the next 3 outs: ground out, strike out, strike out — so it looked like it might be a blip.
- And Rodon pitched a 1-2-3 inning in the 2nd — so all looked good.
- But in the 3rd, a leadoff single then RBI double by Vierling made it 3-1 Detroit. Vierling went to 3rd on a fly out and scored on a sac fly and it was 4-1.
- Aaron Judge hit a DEEP fly caught at the wall in center 405 feet away, that would have been a homer in 13 ballparks, and made it a 4-3 game in the 3rd — but it wasn’t. Still the Yanks were that close to being back in the game.
- And then Rodon cemented the loss in the 4th — leadoff infield single, strike out, double by Tyler Nevin for a 5-1 Detroit lead, ground out, single by Matt Vierling for a 6-1 Detroit lead and Rodon was gone.
- Randy Vasquez came in and allowed a 2-run homer right off the bat to Spencer Torkelson and it was 8-1 Detroit, and many Yankee fans on Twitter announced they were switching to the football game.
“In the pen I felt fine; felt pretty dialed in,” added Rodon. “I just didn’t have the put-away breaking ball or the put-away fastball. He falls to 2-5 6.60.
“I haven’t performed very well, and I haven’t performed very much. So it’s been very frustrating and not good,” summed up Rodon when asked to characterize his season so far.
2. Gleyber HR
25th HR for No. 25 🙌 pic.twitter.com/HP2yyyodc6
— New York Yankees (@Yankees) September 7, 2023
3. Pereria Drives in 2
Gleyber was at it again in the 4th — walking to leadoff the inning. Anthony Volpe got a 1-out single to move Torres to 3rd, and after Kyle Higashioka popped out for the 2nd out, Evan Pereira came through with a clutch, 2-out double to left for 2 runs and an 8-3 game at the time.
Everson Pereira drives in 2️⃣
— YES Network (@YESNetwork) September 8, 2023
Rodriguez finished with 6 innings pitched, allowing 4 hits and 3 runs and going to 11-7 3.18.
Eduardo Rodríguez's 2Ks in the 6th. pic.twitter.com/Cpa7hFIXoy
— Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) September 8, 2023
4. Vasquez, Abreu Take the Middle
After allowing the 2-run homer to Torkelson in the 4th, Randy Vasquez pitched a shutout 5th and 6th — striking out 5.
Albert Abreu pitched the 7th and 8th — allowing a 2-run homer to Ibanez in the 8th to make the score 10-3 Detroit.
5. Krook — Ace Reliever in AAA — Does Well
Matt Krook pitched the 9th for the Yanks — striking out 2 in a 1-2-3 inning. It was Krook’s 3rd appearance in the bigs for the Yanks. In AAA this year the 6’4 lefty was an ace reliever with a 0.92 ERA in 29.1 innings allowing only 8 hits.
6. Yanks Mount Minor Rallies
NY put 2 on in the 8th against Diaz on a Martian walk and Gleyber single, but Giancarlo Stanton struck out.
The Yanks put 2 on in the 9th on a Higgy walk and Peraza infield single against Wingenter, but Jake Bauers struck out for the old ballgame.